The first school was opened in 1887. This was called the Texas Provisional School and its teacher was William Albert Coady. The great flood of 1890 submerged the school and it was recommended that the school relocated to higher ground. As the numbers grew requests were made that the school become a state school.
A new building was built in 1899. In 1908 a play shed was erected to provide shelter for the students. This play shed was moved to the present site of the school and remains in the grounds today.
In the 1940s the site proved to be unsuitable for growth and a more appropriate located had to be found. The present site in Flemming Street was established in 1949. The school houses during this time were called 'Waratah' and 'Wattle'.
The school continued to grow and the need for a secondary school arose. In 1960 a secondary class was developed. As there were no classrooms available it was necessary for temporary accommodation to be used. The Queensland Country Women's Association (QCWA) building was approved for use. In 1961 the new Secondary block of classrooms was opened. In 1962 the school house teams were changed to 'Coolac' and 'Burilda'. Coolac means black swan and Burilda means native bear. These are the House mascots.
The 50th Anniversary of the secondary school was celebrated in September 2010. Two years later the 125th Anniversary of the primary school was celebrated in 2012.